Valentine’s Day incorporates all kinds of love—not just the romantic kind. So if you have a family of little ones, or a group of great friends, celebrate together. Below are five ideas to get you started.
1. Cook a Family-Style Meal: Gather everyone together for a big meal (you like this during Thanksgiving, right?) and enjoy each other’s company while eating yourself silly. You can make it a potluck, a dessert-only affair, a wine bottle trade or anything themed. Whichever you choose, make it fun.
2. Have a Movie Night In: Either with your kids or your pals, don your most comfortable sweat pants and prepare for a triple feature. You can make Valentine’s cookies beforehand, or indulge in chocolates and candy hearts. Spending the evening on the couch is much more relaxing than heading out to a crowded restaurant anyway.
3. Explore Your City: There are dozens of local tours in Seattle—from brew tours, to chocolate tours, to scenic Seattle tours. There’s no limit to your options. You could even buy tickets to a special theater production. Besides, all of that walking will help burn off the chocolate intake.
4. Get Competitive: Plan a game night at home, or go out and race go-karts. Head to a restaurant that features arcade games with your friends, or play mini golf with the kids.
5. Volunteer: Valentine’s is all about spreading the love, so why not give this back to others? Pitch in with Habitat for Humanity, donate clothing to Bellevue LifeSpring, walk dogs at an animal shelter or help out an elderly neighbor with housework. Doing kind things for others will warm your heart.